I've removed the old Chat Restriction FAQ as we've rolled out significant changes in the latest patch alongside the[ Instant feedback upgrade](http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/player-behavior/instant-feedback-powers). You can see this info below.
Punishments for negative behavior in League should accomplish three things:
* Encourage moderately or occasionally negative players to reform
* Shield players from negative experiences
* Remove players who won’t reform from League
Since we launched chat restrictions last year, we’ve observed a few problems. Some negative players accumulate ridiculously high numbers of chat restrictions, yet use their limited chat to spread negativity without any sign of reform. Others reform their behavior, but still need to work off hundreds of chat restricted games before learning if they’d reformed or continued earning punishments. Still others would receive chat restrictions, but not know what specific behaviors their fellow players found objectionable and subsequently have difficulty reforming.
Here’s how we’re fixing these issues:
* Punishments will rapidly escalate for those who don’t reform. Here’s how it works:
* First offense: 10 game chat restriction
* Second offense: 25 game chat restriction
* Third offense: 2 week ban
* Fourth offense: Permanent ban
* We’re reducing the delay between action and consequence (which we’ve observed significantly increases rates of reform) by handing out chat restrictions within 15 minutes of a game’s end. Along those same lines, restricted players now receive escalated punishments as they ‘earn’ them, rather than waiting until their restriction expires to learn what’s next.
* The offending player now receives direct feedback about their behavior. Players now receive in-client reform cards containing the chat logs their peers found troubling.
One last note: because of the scope of these changes, all chat and ranked restrictions will be reset and past restrictions won’t count against you in the new system. Everyone’s slate is wiped clean (for these restrictions), so this is a great time to turn over a new leaf.
All these upgrades go live over the course of this patch (5.18). Let us know what you think!
Initially this was [posted on NA ](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/gameplay-balance/Boqd81O0-upcoming-upgrades-to-chat-restrictions)and linked from the front page to give Neurocat time to talk about a feature the team have been working on for a good while. I'll be checking in for any questions you guys may have!